An exceptional Baroque pier glass by Burchard Precht (1651 - 1738)
Subcategory: Square or rectangular mirrors
The frame with gilded lead beaded edging enclosing an arched border glass with painted decoration in the manner of Jean Berain. The border glass with the original gilt plate dividers enclosing a red fillet and the original mercury glass split plate. The arched top supporting three gilt lead mounts in the form of baskets of flowers.
This mirror is from what is termed Spanish 'Régence' period and is based upon Queen Anne prototypes with the use of shaped border-glasses to outline the main plates. The gilt-lead mounts are a particular feature of Swedish mirrors by this maker.
The Precht workshop mirrors were made in the Gamla Stan section of Stockholm in the vicinity of the Royal Palace on the corner of the Lilla Nygaten and what today is called Schonfeldsgrand. Before the names in the Gamla Stan were changed in 1885 this was called Precht's Grand, which translates as Precht's Alley.
Sweden, circa 1715
The back with an ink inscription reading 'Dena Spilgil Til Hör Brita Fridricka Fröling' translating as 'this mirror belongs to Brita Fridricka Fröling'.
Some old cracks to the border glass but nothing that effects the impact of this extraordinary mirror. The top plate an 18th century replacement.
- Dimensions: H 127cm x W 64cm
H 50¼" x W 25¼"
- Reference Number: 3594